Back To Collection
A unique French Louis XV cylinder Bureau Du Roi, "The King Desk" made of the finest carpentry, marquetry patterns, veneers and ormolu ornamentations.
The desk is produced with different styles of marquetry patterns representing trophies, musical instruments and flower bouquet in different styles. This desk is produced with dark veneer foliate marquetry patterns,
The desk opens cylindrically to a vast area for stationary with various cubby holes, drawers and slots with a sliding panel to extend the space of writing. The desk is ornamented with ormolu folaite works, figures, miniatures, female busts, urns, cherubs and ormolu plaque of putti to the back.
H: 160 cm
W: 160 cm
D: 90 cm
The Bureau du Roi , also known as Louis XV's roll-top secretary is the richly ornamented royal Cylinder desk which was constructed at the end of Louis XV reign.
The Bureau du Roi was probably started in 1760, when the commission was formally announced. Its first designer was Jean-François Oeben, the master cabinet maker of the royal arsenal. The first step in its construction was the fabrication of an extremely detailed miniature model in wax .
The full scale desk was finished in 1769 by his successor, Jean Henri Riesener, who had married Oeben's widow. Made for the new Cabinet du Roi at the Palace of Versailles, it was transferred to the Louvre Museum in Paris after the French Revolution, but has been returned to the Palace of Versailles in the 20th century where it stands again in the room where it was standing before the Revolution, i.e. the Cabinet intérieur du Petit Appartement ("Inner study of the Private Apartments"), the famous study room where kings Louis XV and Louis XVI carried out their daily work, and inside which King Louis XVI took the decision to support the American insurgents in 1777. Secret diplomatic papers were kept inside the secretary's secret drawers, whose only key the king always carried with him.
The desk is covered with intricate marquetry of a wide variety of fine woods. In an oval reserve at the center of its 'public' side, away from the king himself, is the marquetry head of Silence, with forefinger to lips, a reminder of the discretion required in the king's business. Gilt-bronze moldings of plaques, statuettes, miniature busts and vases, even integral scrolling gilt-bronze candle stands, further adorn the surfaces of the desk. The original design was to have a miniature bust of Louis XV on top, but it was replaced by Minerva after his death in 1770.
Riesener later executed a simplified second version of the Bureau du Roi for Pierre-Gaspard-Marie Grimod, comte d'Orsay; today this may be seen in the Wallace Collection in London.